Emoticons

From: David Suarez de Lis <phdavidl@usc.es>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 15:06:18 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi all...

i have been trying to work around the 'smiley problem', ie, that ':)'
means nothing for aural browsers...

my current solution is to use a <span class="smiley">*smile*</span> (or
*wink* or *pout* or whatever...) and the use a CSS stylesheet so the
*smile* is printed out in red (or pronounced in a different peach,
although I haven't tried aural stylesheets as I cannot yet check them)

Booby approves my pages but on accessibility tips it comments about ASCII
art...

The only thing I can think of as ASCII art is the '*' surrounding the
words... how much of a problem is "*grin*" for an aural UA? Would it be
better just "smile" and making it to stand out of the main text via the
stylesheet?

Any help appreciated...
(note: pages with this are, if you like to check, at
Http://web.usc.es/~phdavidl/slidedraw/, any comments and suggestions
really welcome...)

Thanks,
David@

--