Re: Lynx and frames (gossip)

From: Chris Maden <crism@oreilly.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 15:46:30 -0400 (EDT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Al Gilman forwarded the rumors:
>   Frames are an unmitigated disaster, to be avoided like the plague.
>
>   Clients think they are cool.
>
>   They are hard to make work right across different browsers.
>
>   They are hard to maintain.
>
>   Just not worth the trouble.

When I was working on DynaWeb at Inso, Sun did a bunch of formal user
interface testing.  They found that users really didn't like frames-
based interfaces, across the board.  Even though the TOC-and-document
simultaneous interface seems intuitive, they opted for a single page
at a time, as seen at <URL:http://docs.sun.com/>.

-Chris