comments welcome

From: tom mcCain <tmccain@thomas.butler.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 11:43:05 -0500 (EST)
To: WAI-W3C <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
cc: Virginia Rodes <vrodes@lbph.lib.md.us>, Jamie Fox <jfox@fenix2.dol-esa.gov>, Sue at Skill Zone <sue@skillzone.demon.co.uk>, Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>, William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>, Calum MacLeod <calum@bordernet.co.uk>, Paul Adelson <paul.adelson@citicorp.com>, Kathleen Fagan-Raeihle <raeihle@nycap.rr.com>
...and thanks to those who responded, with helpful suggestions, to my
"small rant" about a month ago. I still think the WAI guidelines, as they
stand, are wordy and dense, and I want to repeat my offer to help change
that.

In the meantime, I conducted my accessibility workshop, and I wrote my web
site of guidelines for my university campus to use:

http://trevor.butler.edu/~tmccain/access

1. The workshop went well (with much help from Norman Coombs and Dick
Banks of EASI), though the turnout was low.

2. My guidelines are wordier and denser than I'd like, and I can better
appreciate the work you folks have been doing. This ain't easy.

It still not only can be better, it has to be better, or people won't "get
it" and won't do it. I'll keep working on slimming my recommendations, and
I'll keep being available.

- tom

tom mcCain, Butler University, Indianapolis USA

Work phone: 317 940-8138
Email address: tmccain@butler.edu
Web addresses: http://trevor.butler.edu/~tmccain
               http://www.crittur.com