Lynx

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 19:37:34 -0800
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At the face2face in L.A. someone said that a web author had commented,
"I'm not going to dumb down my site to the level of Lynx" and others
referred to Lynx as somehow less than a "real" browser.  There is an old
put-down: "do I have to draw a picture of it to help you understand"
that seems to indicate that perhaps words are more, not less "smart"
indicating than graphics.

Another fear expressed, I think erroneously, is that as the Web becomes
more TV-like it will become just another entertainment medium.  The root
appeal of the Web is its interconnection and interactivity.  The TV is
already pretty well handled by TV.  Passive entertainment: a)isn't
likely to be the main material on the Web because of bandwidth/time
constraints; b)isn't likely to adversely affect accessibility and may
even enhance it.
--
Love.
            ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE