Re: Development WAI activities

From: Chris Maden <crism@ora.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 11:46:42 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
[Jaap van Lelieveld]
> Just some examples:
> 1. More and more sites use JAVA, JAVA script and/or generated pages.
>    With LYNX - or any other text-based or specific browser - no
>    scripting support at all is available.
>    When using e.g. IE results are rather unpredictable and depend on
>    a lot of good luck and - as usual - the screen reader program used.
>    In (nearly) all cases though I did not have the feeling that
>    "I saw, what I'd got".
>    Or to say it more clearly: I could not get through without
>    sighted people's assistence.
>    One additional remark must be that each screen reader had its
>    own "good things".
>    Major problem of course is I only visit such pages once !

Last I heard, someone was working on a project to add some subset of
JavaScript capability to Lynx.  If Lynx want's to support XML/XSL,
it'll need that capability eventually anyway.

> 2. For transactions of any importance SSL is required these days.
>    This is quite useful, but do you know any text-based browser that
>    supports SSL?

Lynx, with patches.  I can't tell you how to get them, because then
I'd be an unlicensed arms exporter, thanks to my freedom-loving
government.  But ask on lynx-dev@sig.net or search the Web, and you
may find a non-US source for the SSL patches.

-Chris