RE: mdash

	Chris wrote:
> On another subject has anyone had any bright ideas about
> what to do with mdashes -- one site I've been helping with
> has been using two regular dashes, like this: -- and I've
> been using — on another site. However I've now realized
> that while — works OK it's not in the ISO character
> set. And what is concerning me more is how speech
> synthesizers would deal with this, anyone got any ideas?

	In-house experience seems to respond.

	1. User preferences
			Punctuation can be turned on or off
			(Assumes you are using  --)
	2.	Screen reader capability.
		Can the punctuation be 'turned off' may not be on some
		lower end products.
	3.	Likewise if 'm-dash'  (#151) or any other 'graphical'
character
		is used, with high end products they can be 'trained' to
		pronounce them as 'm dash' or ignored.

		Perhaps the cleaner solution is to use the proper entity
set
		then permit those who can and want to, to train the
system
		to 'pronounce' entities as intended.

	The quick and dirty is to avoid using them - there are
alternatives.

	regards, DaveP