Re: ABBR and ACRONYM

From: Chris Croome <chris@atomism.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:25:05 GMT
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Cc: "Pawson, David" <DPawson@rnib.org.uk>
On Fri, 30 Jan 1998 07:56:48 -0000, "Pawson, David"
<DPawson@rnib.org.uk> wrote:

>	One difference we (RNIB) need to recognise,
>	for an acronym, presented to a low end synth speech
>	system 'reading' a page, the acronym needs to be
>	'spaced out', such that RNIB becomes R N I B,
>	whereas this is not necessary with an 'abbrev' which can
>	(often) be 'read out' without being 'spelled out' - if you
>	catch my drift.

I see, am I correct in understanding that you mean that
things that should be read out as separate letters should
use ARCONYM and things that are pronounced more like a word
use ABBRV?

>	This (IMHO) necessitates differentiation between the two.
>	How many authors appreciate such finesse I am unsure.

I think a clearer explanation is needed, it could be really
annoying if people start using them the wrong way around.

Chris

chris@atomism.demon.co.uk
http://www.atomism.demon.co.uk/