RE: Censorship by laziness

From: Kasday, Leonard <kasday@att.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 10:34:48 -0500
To: Chris Hasser <chasser@immerse.com>, "'Charles McCathieNevile'" <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>, "'wai-interest-group-post'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Charles,

This statistic of yours,
	>An interesting fact I obtained when working as the webmaster
for RMIT
	>University, one of Australia's largest (42 000 students): Of
All people
	>who viewed our front page, approximately _half_ did not bother
viewing
	>the pictures. (Based on a study of the log files. Not perfect
but not
	> bad. Around 100 000 hits in the period in question)

This is very interesting.  Were these students using graphical browsers
or something like Lynx?

I'd readily believe that this many people would ignore images even if
they had graphical browsers, especially if the site was usable without
the images.

Do other people on the list here know of similar statistics?

	Len

All opinions expressed here are my own, not necessarily those of my
employer.
kasday@att.com         phone 732 949 2693

Leonard R. Kasday
Room 1J-316A