Re: CAST Announces Bobby upgrade & Beta release of Bobby Application

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 13:48:12 +1000 (EST)
To: WAI <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Do we dare snub Bobby approval?
Well, fantastic though Bobby is, my personal view is that Bobby is _one_
of the tools that should be used to check pages. The cases raised (ALT=""
and simple tables) are good examples of where Bobby can fail the
accessibility-minded designer. The onus is then on the designer to know
whether and why Bobby is right or wrong - particularly if you are charging
money for your expertise.

The use of tables to align graphics is not something I am very happy with
anymore (I even took it out of my website today). The use of ALT="" is a
generally bad thing, although there may be individual cases to be made for
some uses. (I am thinking analagously to the use of ALT="*" for images
used as bullets in lists, which seems appropriate to me.)

Charles McCathieNevile