RE: ALT-attribute usage (fwd)

I disagree with this - so if I have a picture of a furry dog as my list
item graphic, I as an HTML author need to always use "Item" as the ALT
attribute?  Isn't this a misuse of the ALT attribute?

Via the HTML object model and Active Accessibility, screen readers will
know they are talking to a list item already.  This guideline only helps
down level browsers and certain screen readers with the *visual*
presentation of the list item.

I fear that this kind of guideline only makes adoption less likely by
being confusing.

Charles Oppermann
Windows NT User Interface Group, Microsoft Corporation
mailto:chuckop@microsoft.com http://microsoft.com/enable/
"A computer on every desk and in every home, usable by everyone!"