Re: Re[2]: Ability taxonomy bh

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 10:56:32 -0600
To: dd@w3.org, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, w3c-wai-wg@w3.org
For many of the problems associated with WWW access many of the problems
can be solved and probably can only solved on the browser side.  I think a
key area for the W3C is to develop browser guidelines and
demonstrate/verify what types of browser based solutions work for people
with disabilities.  I think the guidelines need to be based on universal
design (UD) principles, which extend the capabilities of current browser
technologies.  Additional controls and views need to be a part of current

For information on some of the features of a browser based on UD principles
see the page at:

Here at UIUC we are working on developing a prototype accessible browser
and a demo version should be available in July to handle HTML 3.2:

Does the W3C have influence with major browser developers like Netscape or
Microsoft over user interface design issues?

Jon Gunderson
1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Voice: 217-244-5870