RE: Re[2]: Ability taxonomy bh

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <po@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 18:29:50 -0500
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc: "w3c-wai-wg@w3.org" <w3c-wai-wg@w3.org>
Jim wrote
   I don't think you should assume that people interested in vision
     impairments are only interested in the source problems.

[GV }

absolutely.   People with all disabilities have access issues at the
browser / viewer end.

Couple of additional thoughts.

- Source documents used to only be a problem for people with sensory and
cognitive disabilities.

- Now that we are including user interface issues in source materials (e.g.
Java applets et al) we are making source materials a problem for people
with all disabilities.

- Moreover, solutions in the browser (e.g. if we have an accessible
browser) are not enough if the source materials (including the applets) are
not accessible as well.

- This is just more evidence for not treating them as separate entities in
discussion accessibility.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden