RE: CSS 2: priorities in cascading order

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Charles (Chuck) Oppermann wrote:

> Up on http://microsoft.com/enable/products/ie4.htm
> <http://microsoft.com/enable/products/ie4.htm>  we have a couple of High
> Contrast style sheets that can be downloaded.

I have visited the Microsoft site and found the style sheets, which
demonstrate the problem and show that it is not merely hypothetical. Any
of these style sheets would be overridden by contrary provisions in an
author's style sheet.

The fact that a user agent may include controls in its user interface
permitting the user to disable the application of certain style sheets is
helpful, but not sufficient. Rather, the user should be able to determine
which of the provisions in his or her default style sheet will apply
regardless of the author's style sheet, and which can be overridden.

For this reason I would reiterate the importance of either (1) changing
the definition of !important; so that an author's styles always carry
normal weight; or (2) adding an !absolute; directive to achieve the same
effect. The "specificity" problem as outlined in one of my earlier
contributions to this discussion also requires attention.

The fact that Microsoft have implemented "readers' style sheets" has
changed my thinking somewhat with regard to the importance of this issue.
The fact that it is not a major practical problem today is merely a
consequence of there being so few "authors' style sheets" available on the
web. This will change in the future, perhaps quite rapidly, particularly
if and when CSS 2 becomes a recommendation and is widely supported by
authoring tools and web browsers.