the achieve acceptance of CSS1 by authoring groups.  To change that, I see
three possible paths:

1)	Additional syntax changes to allow for more attributes (your option
#2)
2)	Change the definition of CSS to say that a reader attribute "wins"
when faced with the same level author attribute (your option #1)
3)	Recommend that browsers do what IE4 does - provide absolute
overrides in the user interface.

If we add more attributes, what's to prevent someone from always using the
"!SUPER-DUPER_INCREDIBLY_IMPORTANT_ULTIMATE" attribute on their site simply
because it's a guarantee of appearance.

Option #3 I feel is best because it's the easiest to implement:  Millions of
web authors, verses hundreds of thousands of folks needing their user styles
verses a handful of browsers (minus the one that already does it).

Charles Oppermann
Active Accessibility, Microsoft Corporation
mailto:chuckop@microsoft.com http://microsoft.com/enable/
"A computer on every desk and in every home, usable by everyone!"