RE: SELECT/ OPTION GROUPS with the SIZE attribute (fwd)

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Scott Isaacs wrote:

> Offhand, I am concerned it potentially won't scale and it doesn't handle
> the following:
>
> 1) nested value lists (my example from much earlier)
> 2) multi-columns
> 3) rich HTML items
> 4) mult-select for hierarchy
> 5) Individually checked items similar to a menu
> 6) Disabling of items or nested groups
>
> Scott
I shall let those with greater expertise in the design of visual user
interfaces deal with the detail of this objection, but a few points should
be noted. Firstly, the WAI proposal defines a means of establishing a
hierarchical structure of option groups, as is required for purposes of
accessibility. Since it is entirely compatible with existing HTML
documents and user agents, as Dave Raggett has repeatedly pointed out,
it is not necessary for visual browsers to implement this feature, though
it would be preferable that they do so.

No evidence has been offered which suggests that the current proposal
would not be amenable to extension in the future, in such a way as to meet
the concerns described above. By contrast, the objector's alternative
proposal does not provide the basis for future extensions and, nor does it
meet the WAI accessibility requirements.

Basically, I think the objection arises from a lack of appreciation of the
distinction between structure and presentation, which is a fundamental
feature of HTML.