Re: Moving focus to another place after pressing a button

On 24/07/2019 15:49, Chuck Adams wrote:
> IMHO
>
> A button is a component that when used as expected is “activated”, and
> there is an expectation that when activated, context will change.  Thus
> there is no change of context violation.  BUT…
>
> Possibly WCAG 2.0 - 3.2.2 On Input?  With buttons and links, normal
> behavior is a very significant change of context (like going to a new
> page entirely).  A less substantial change of context could be viewed as
> “unexpected”, and 3.2.2 requires that the user be informed of the
> possible context change before making a change in value.  To me this is
> a big stretch.

I'd agree, that's stretching it. Links could be in-page links, that may
even jump only one line away. With buttons (unless form submission
buttons) there's probably no clear expectation at all - it could just
toggle something and not move focus at all, or even launch a whole new page.

> Possibly WCAG 2.0 - 3.2.3 Consistent Navigation?  Same reason as above,
> usually there would be a significant change of context (going to a new
> page entirely), thus is pressing a button that causes a less substantial
> change of context inconsistent with typical expectations?  This is less
> of a stretch, but still really reaching to make this sc fit this use case.

The key to 3.2.3 is that it's consistent (and even there, it's really
only about the order in which the navigation elements appear) on the set
of pages/site you're on (and not consistent with some romantic ideal of
what should happen for a particular navigation component). So not really
applicable I'd say.

> Possibly WCAG 2.0 - 3.3.2 Labels or Instructions?**Is there an
> instruction given for the user to inform him/her that a less substantial
> change of context (a focus shift) will occur when the button is
> activated?  Still a reach in my mind.**

Agree this is reaching as well.

In general, to answer Jake's original question...I don't think it's a
problem, unless there are other aspects at play that may make this more
problematic. At a stretch, I'd suggest a best practice (but not a
failure) to make things like that clear to all users somehow if possible...

Patrick H. Lauke