Re: Essential Controls

 > I believe this is valid as long as the top
 > level is visible.

Hmm. If the intent is that the controls a user is likely to want or need
to use are not off the viewport then isn't a control hidden under
another collapsible control equally bad?

Perhaps it can be mitigated if the presence of the child hidden control
can be easily deduced - but that's another can of worms

eg the Cognitive Pattern - Sub-menu items are able to easily identify
https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-usable/#pattern-sub-menu-items-are-able-to-easily-identify

Steve