Re: WCAG 2.2 - tightened requirements approach

Alastair wrote:

> Interesting, that would prevent overlap at least. Would you think the
previous SC should appear at all in the spec (with a deprecated warning
message), or just remove it entirely?

Katie wrote:

> I tend to feel that new requirements need a new identifier (SC # in this
case). This helps to avoid confusion for all involved. HTML usually adds a
new element or attribute for new requirement / feature / functionality.

+1 to Katie.

If the intent is to be building on top of prior WCAG versions, we also have
to accept that some organizations may find themselves somewhere *between *WCAG
2.1 and WCAG 2.2 conformance (which is all good, because they are still in
conformance with WCAG 2.0 "and growing"). I know *I'd* encourage an
organization to do that, as I am doing essentially that now with 2.1 (i.e.
"You don't *HAVE* to, but if you can now, all the better")

For this reason (and in light of the Project Silver 're-working' of our SC)
I'd favor adding a new SC and new SC number, but I'd avoid out-right
deprecation at this time: we instead could note that the new Success
Criteria supersedes SC 2.4.7.

JF

--
*​John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good