Re: Clarification on COGA technique for Identify Purpose

On 18/01/2019 10:49, Joshue O Connor - InterAccess wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In the Examples section of the success criterion 'Identify Purpose' - it
> is suggested that the 'The links in the navigation of a website are
> marked-up so that users can add their own icons' but seems to be no
> steer on how this is done. [1]
>
> Does it imply the use of some other semantic that describes the
> container widget of the links? Or a role for the links themselves? If
> native HTML semantics are not sufficient its seems to be there should be
> an explanation of why.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks
>
> [1] https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/identify-purpose.html

Well, the idea is that users would either have an extension (which I
don't believe exists yet, for chicken-egg reasons) or custom-written
user styles (and a way to add them to each page - not a feature native
to most browsers anymore nowadays, so also via an extension) to do this.
In the case of custom styles, something that specifically targets
microdata/aria landmark attributes and adds a custom image as a
background or similar. At least that's my understanding.

Patrick H. Lauke