Re: Use of ARIA to satisfy 'Identify common purpose' SC

>  *Having developers put markup on each and every form element (sort-of
the case for 1.3.4) or controls, symbols, and every other user interface
elements/components - is too much of a burden, for such a small outcome
IMO.*

With all due respect, SC 1.3.4 *DOES NOT* demand that authors put markup on
"each and every form element". I think you are misunderstanding what the SC
is asking for.  For example, the following snippet does not require *any*
additional @autocomplete attributes or token values:

<fieldset>
   <legend>Some people still don't understand this SC</legend>
      <label for="answer_1">True</label>
      <input type="radio" name="understand" value="true" id="answer_1">

      <label for=" answer_2">False</label>
      <input type="radio" name="understand" value="false" id="answer_2">
</fieldset>

There are 53 token values defined in autocomplete, and ONLY THOSE INPUTS
that correspond to the token values require being marked up.  Additionally,
adding markup to other "*...controls, symbols, and every other user
interface elements/components...*" is out-of-scope for SC 1.3.4, and has
been since before publishing our CR recommendation.

*SC 1.3.4 is tightly scoped to specific form inputs *ONLY*.*

>  *Because, as the SC stands today, it will not allow for symbols to be
rendered for identifying the purpose of those fields.*

​Huh? Please show the quoted text that supports your assertion​.

The Success Criteria today simply states the following:

The meaning of each input field collecting information about the user can
be programmatically determined
<https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/CR-WCAG21-20180130/#dfn-programmatically-determinable>
 when:

   - The input field has a meaning that maps to the HTML 5.2 Autofill field
   names <https://www.w3.org/TR/html52/sec-forms.html#sec-autofill>; and
   - The content is implemented using technologies with support for
   identifying the expected meaning for form input data.

I do not see any restrictions as to what can or cannot happen, only that
the "meaning" (or purpose) of those specific form inputs (i.e. the ones
identified and defined by the @autocomplete tokens) can be *programmatically
determined, *and that the means of making the input programmatically
determinable uses a methodology that identifies or facilitates the expected
'response' or purpose of that input (aka element-level metadata). That's
it, that's all.

And while *today* we have the @autocomplete attribute as the 'best' [sic]
Technique at hand, we are also seeing an alternative technique being
proposed by the Personalization Semantics Module, and the creation of the
new aui-field attribute
<https://w3c.github.io/personalization-semantics/content/index.html#field-explanation>.
Additionally, while *aui-field* remains a *proposed* new attribute in
February 2018, there is already an existing proof-of-concept that shows how
*aui-field* *CAN* support the use of symbols. (See: https://a11y-resources.
com/developer/adaptable-ui-personalisation#aui-field)

I believe your concern is currently unfounded.

JF