RE: Use of ARIA to satisfy 'Identify common purpose' SC

+1

Strongly agree – We need to address user need, but also need to point to something that is already out there. Tech/specs/etc aren’t mature enough yet. Personally, I would like this SC to be as ready as possible, so that when there’s something to support it, we can get it out quickly. (Not sure if that means we’d start lining up 2.2 SCs...)

Kim

From: Katie Haritos-Shea [mailto:ryladog@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 7:32 AM
To: AlastairCampbell
Cc: David MacDonald; Joshue O Connor; lisa.seeman; WCAG
Subject: Re: Use of ARIA to satisfy 'Identify common purpose' SC

Yep, that is what I am saying. Put off these two SCs, redo SC to address the user need, and point to a spec designed to do just that, when that is ready-ish

On Feb 21, 2018 2:59 AM, "Alastair Campbell" <acampbell@nomensa.com<mailto:acampbell@nomensa.com>> wrote:
Katie wrote:
> HTML already has autocomplete, and its growing support, for  assisting all users in filling out common form fields. That is a very important - but different issue.

It is a sub-set of the user-need / requirement. Programmatic identification of purpose is the mechanism, and autocomplete fulfills a small set of the possible purposes.

Would it be better if we could rely on the personalisation spec and just point to that? I think so, but it isn’t ahead of WCAG 2.1 enough for that.

>  This is a problem the W3C needs to find a solution to overall. Personalization is the same issue-ish but is more discrete, in that the solution needs to provide the 'right' functionality for a given USER.

The W3C way (these days) appears to be “standardise after implementation”, so the process should be:
- Work in a community group to start the spec.
- Get implementors on board so there are two interoprable implementations (on the UA side).
- Standardise the spec.
- *Then* WCAG could point to it.

Without the personalisation semantics spec being at least in CR before WCAG 2.1, it isn’t an option, so we need a more widely supported mechanism. Or put it off to the next version.

Cheers,

-Alastair