RE: Use of ARIA to satisfy 'Identify common purpose' SC

  *   I think there is an advantage to showing some progress (however small), which prompts the conversation

I agree Alistair, having autocomplete also benefits users who have difficulty entering text including those on mobile, users of speech who may not want to speak private information in public, and users who may not be able to recall all the details of zipcodes, etc.   So while it doesn’t fully address the issue it provides benefit to a wide range of users with different types of disabilities not just users with cognitive and learning disabilities.

Jonathan

From: Alastair Campbell [mailto:acampbell@nomensa.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 9:53 AM
To: Brooks.Newton@thomsonreuters.com; ryladog@gmail.com
Cc: david100@sympatico.ca; josh@interaccess.ie; lisa.seeman@zoho.com; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: RE: Use of ARIA to satisfy 'Identify common purpose' SC

Well, the question is then whether we have something in, or pretty much nothing.

I think there is an advantage to showing some progress (however small), which prompts the conversation

As I mentioned in IRC on the last call: having this (AA) SC starts a new chapter in our accessibility training materials, we haven't had non-screenreader metadata previously.

Cognitive has been all about Plain English and UCD so far, this gives us a chance to talk through the reasoning for personalisation and what should come in future.

-Alastair

From: Brooks.Newton

+1

I’m with Katie on this point.

Brooks

From: Katie Haritos-Shea

Yep, that is what I am saying. Put off these two SCs, redo SC to address the user need, and point to a spec designed to do just that, when that is ready-ish