Re: Use of ARIA to satisfy 'Identify common purpose' SC

Hi All,

>  using an author-specified description of purpose that isn’t tied to a
list of universally recognized purpose-oriented tokens won’t allow for the
substitution of user-specified symbols or text descriptions that support
customization/personalization for the end user.

Bulls-eye!! This is *EXACTLY* the point!!!

Additionally, this isn't about the Accessible Name (we really need to stop
thinking of it like that), it's the (*Accessible) Purpose* we're after.

As I noted to Jason previously, it's like "screwdriver" - that term can be
the "accessible name" for a tool, so we also understanding that the
"purpose" of that tool is to "drive screws". But, I can have a second tool,
with the "accessible name" of "screw gun", which is a different, separate
"name", but it still has the same "purpose" as the first tool - to drive
screws.

The bottom line is that what we seek is not a prose label directed at the
end user, but rather a referenceable token or snippet of metadata that
disambiguates the on-screen control to the point that machines can do
something useful with that information. Today, that requires a fixed
taxonomy, because AI today cannot figure out the commonality between
"screwdriver" and "screw gun" (Purpose = "tools for driving screws").

Alastair also notes the emergent Personalization Semantics, and the
introduction of new attributes. Personally, I have a number of grave
concerns about how this is emerging, including the fact that they appear to
be attempting to duplicate the wheel: the newly minted "aui-field"
attribute proposal takes one of a fixed number of values. That list of
values? The HTML5.x token values for autocomplete...

What they (COGA TF) are seeking then is something like this:

<input type="text" name="fname" autocomplete="tel" *aui-field="tel"*/>

(where @autocomplete benefits all users who take advantage of autofill,
while @aui-field is intended, presumably, for helper-apps to assist COGA
users. But if a tool could take the 'string' of "...autocomplete="tel"..."
and equate it to aui-field="tel" then the additional envisioned
machine-based customization/personalization could happen without requiring
the @aui-field attribute...)

>From my perspective, it's about *metadata *and *pattern matching* and a *common
taxonomy*: everything else is secondary.

Remember, the text of SC 1.3.4 states: "*The meaning of each input field
collecting information about the user can be programmatically determined...*"
- having a consistent fixed text string to 'search for' in the DOM makes
that string "programmatically determinable" to any and all software tools
(above and beyond 'just' browsers).

JF

--
John Foliot