From: James Nurthen <james.nurthen@oracle.com>
Date: Friday, January 19, 2018 at 11:05
To: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: 1.3.4, autocomplete and esignatures

I’m concerned that the current 1.3.4 could interfere with esignatures.
One of the requirements is:
Intent to sign.
Just as with a handwritten signature, a signer must show clear intention to electronically sign an agreement. is is usually an easy requirement to satisfy. For example, signers can show intention by using a mouse to draw their signature, typing their name or clicking a button clearly labeled “I Accept” or something similar.

Use of autocomplete on a name field would mean that we could not be sure that the user intended to sign. I think we need a “unless cannot be done due to regulatory requirements” statement.

Regards,
James