From: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca<mailto:david100@sympatico.ca>>
Date: Friday, January 6, 2017 at 10:51
To: "lisa.seeman@zoho.com<mailto:lisa.seeman@zoho.com>" <lisa.seeman@zoho.com<mailto:lisa.seeman@zoho.com>>, WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org<mailto:w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>>
Subject: Should we require labels to be always visible?

Most of the sites I evaluate these days seem to have placeholder text for labels. An aria-label helps, but the label still disappears on focus or on clicking into the field.

Would it help the cognitive community if the label is always visible. So for placeholder labels, should we require that the label appears near the field when the user clicks or tabs to the field? Like this?

http://davidmacd.com/widgets/floating-label/floating-placeholder1.html

Cheers,
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.