From: Gregg C Vanderheiden <greggvan@umd.edu>
Date: Friday, 28 April 2017 at 11:36
To: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
Cc: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Is Java Web Start covered by WCAG?

I would agree.   FTP not covered.

WCAG conformance is based on the web page  which is defined as

Web page
a non-embedded resource obtained from a single URI using HTTP plus any other resources that are used in the rendering or intended to be rendered together with it by a user agent<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#useragentdef>

Unless someone figured out how to do FTP using http —  I do not see how they say FTP is covered by WCAG.

now  WCAG is a ruler and you can use it for many things.   The Access Board is using it for docs and software — but that is just someone using it that way.     It does not make the standard cover those  (and indeed it doesn’t COVER them  — other provisions are needed as well. )

But as to whether the WCAG 2.0 Working GROpu  intended WCAG 2.0 to cover FTP  — the answer is “Not to my knowledge — and I was co-chair of the WG

best

Gregg C Vanderheiden
greggvan@umd.edu<mailto:greggvan@umd.edu>

On Apr 28, 2017, at 3:03 AM, Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com<mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>> wrote:

>  that PDF delivered via FTP is in scope...

This is something the group doesn’t seem to agree on.  I’d like to get consensus on this as well.  I was told by members of the working group who were involved during WCAG 2.0’s creation that it was not covered.

Jonathan