Re: Responsive tables and accessibility

Jonathan wrote:
> If the group agrees, that not allowing the user to view 2D tables in a responsive view (when
> they are otherwise available in other breakpoints) is indeed a failure of WCAG 2 A/AA

I don’t think it’s that straightforward, in many cases I wouldn’t agree.

From the example from Charlie Cathcart (via Steve’s fork):
http://codepen.io/stevef/details/myzLdr

All the information and relationships are available at the smaller breakpoints because it adds the column headers to each block. You can compare rows as each is labelled well.

If that were not the case I would agree that it fails WCAG2, but with that in place (and for this level of complexity) I think it is a better solution across the board than horizontal scrolling. As a user the only negative is slightly more vertical scrolling, but if you are on a small screen and/or zoomed in then there is little difference, you’d have to scroll a lot anyway.

I mocked up a ‘view’ of the different tables imagining you were trying to compare domestic gross from the example with a small screen view:
https://alastairc.ac/tmp/responsive-tables-comparison.png

It shows that if you have a small screen view and try to compare things, you can’t see the film titles, column header and data at the same time. In the smaller breakpoints each item is labeled within a small screen/zoomed view. You have to scroll to compare, but the information is clear.

I’d be interested in people’s thoughts one why that wouldn’t fulfil 1.3.1 Info & Relationships? Or is there another issue?

Cheers,

-Alastair