Re: Authroing tools and WAI guidelines (was RE: Straw man list for WCAG.NEXT, another proposal...)

On 11/04/2016 17:05, White, Jason J wrote:
> While considering the role of authoring tools, it's important to
> recognize that the Web is increasingly becoming an application
> development environment. The tools relevant to JavaScript programmers
> aren't the same as those used to create traditional, structured HTML
> documents; and we need to think carefully about the capabilities
> which software development tools/environments should possess in
> support of accessibility.
>
> At the moment, anyone engaged in serious JavaScript user interface
> development needs to know WAI-ARIA and to apply WCAG directly.

If frameworks and libraries count as authoring tools (which I'd say they
do), then yes a big part of effort/push needs to concentrate on getting
those frameworks to either include ARIA etc automatically, or to at
least stress in their documentation and examples what additional
attributes need to be set by authors (part of what I've tried to do,
little by little, in Bootstrap for instance).

Patrick H. Lauke