From: Sailesh Panchang [mailto:sailesh.panchang@deque.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 4:24 PM
To: GLWAI Guidelines WG org; Gregg Vanderheiden
Cc: paul.adam@deque.com
Subject: HTML for markup and CSS for presentation: valid?

What's the current thinking on use of CSS to deliver content including alt for CSS images? Can this become sufficient if screen reader support becomes widespread?
This will then impact techniques for SC 1.1.1 and 1.3.1 too.
Also content of C22: Using CSS to control visual presentation of text.

Consider:
http://pauljadam.com/demos/css-line-through-del-ins-accessibility.html

http://pauljadam.com/demos/css4altgeneratedcontent.html

http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2014/notes-on-draft-css-alt-property/

Clearly screen readers exposing CSS tables is problematic:
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/201110/using_displaytable_has_semantic_effects_in_some_screen_readers/

It became bad practice to use tags like FONT and   attributes like
color, border, etc. in HTML markup with the validator flagging warnings  . Now we have CSS providing a method for alt text.

Thanks a lot,
Sailesh Panchang