RE: Usefulness of language annotations

From: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:37:16 -0700
To: "'Richard Ishida'" <ishida@w3.org>, "'Jens O. Meiert'" <jens@meiert.com>, "'W3C WAI GL'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Richard Ishida wrote:

> A voice browser ought to be able to tell that 'chat' in English is not
> pronounced the same as 'chat' in French, even if it can't speak French
> (though presumably it might at some point).

Yes! Screen readers like JAWs will switch language profiles 'on-the-fly' when
@lang is used in-line. For example, Richard's example, if marked-up, would use
the French enunciation: <p>The french language translation of cat is <span
lang="fr">chat</span>.</p> I can provide an MP3 file if you need/want Jens -
ping me directly if you want it.

JF