Re: Usefulness of language annotations

From: Jens O. Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 23:56:29 +0530
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: W3C WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Richard,

not to doubt you but to confirm, are you sure all your examples rest on use
of @lang?

As for developer vs. tool responsibility, I think it can never be just a
developer responsibility anyway, because developers miss things. The
accuracy you’re hinting at is perhaps what we get with developer
responsibility—but at the same time we lose breadth because not every
developer marks up languages. And that doesn’t even take into account
regular users and amateurs who touch code.

While I see both the theoretical value of marking up languages (absolutely,
but that’s not why I’m here), and while I agree with their general use, I
still don’t feel convinced that the dogma of marking up languages is
justified. (But I might also need to revisit how I phrased my points here :)

--
Jens O. Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/