Re: SC failure for using pixel font size

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 09:23:39 +0100
To: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
CC: Aurélien Levy <aurelien.levy@temesis.com>, WCAG WG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Jonathan Avila wrote:

>  That isn’t the case for responsive sites, zoom should not trigger horizontal scrolling in that case.

Interesting point – most responsive sites are based on breakpoints set on viewport widths – so zooming within a breakpoint with fixed with containers can still unfortunately produce horizontal scrollbars.  Browsers seem to do better at wrapping fixed fonts but fixed container sizes are more problematic.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean, but I don’t think that is the case for a responsive site.

The point of the breakpoints (combined with percentage widths) is that you adapt the layout to smaller screens. Thanks to browsers treating pixels as CSS-pixels, if you zoom 200% on a 1024px window, the effective width is considered 512px. Designing responsively means you start with 1 column at 100% wide (people might consider this the mobile view) and add layouts from there.

If you use pixel-based widths, the breakpoints should change when you hit the width of the window.

If you try zooming on a responsive site (e.g. www.gov.uk<http://www.gov.uk>) it should not introduce scrolling unless you make the effective with less than about 300px (e.g. 300% on a 1024px wide window, or 200% on a 600px wide window).

The only caveat would be if you *also* increase text size, in which case all bets are off. It is very difficult to allow for both pixel-based and font-based changes.

-Alastair