W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-gl@w3.org > January to March 2012

Minutes from 27 Feb HTML5 Techniques Task Force

From: Loretta Guarino Reid <lorettaguarino@google.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:07:51 -0800
Message-ID: <CAHu5OWY6_Lau=k65kzk8CW_wBbxrCaoJavj1rxAun=X3UArXzw@mail.gmail.com>
To: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, wai-xtech@w3.org
http://www.w3.org/2012/02/27-html-techs-tf-minutes.html

  [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                      HTML Techniques Task Force

27 Feb 2012

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2012/02/27-html-techs-tf-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Joseph_Scheuhammer, James_Nurthen, Marc_Johlic, Cooper,
          Bruce_Bailey, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Adam_Solomon, David_Todd

   Regrets
   Chair
          James_Nurthen

   Scribe
          Loretta

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Proposed new ARIA/WCAG techique Using aria-describdby
            and alert for Error Feedback in Forms]
         2. [5]Using the HTML5 required attribute to indicate that a
            value is required in an input field.
     * [6]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <scribe> scribe:Loretta

Proposed new ARIA/WCAG techique [Using aria-describdby and alert for
Error Feedback in Forms]

   Tim isn't at the meeting. This is an early draft, which is fine,
   especially while we are learing to write techniques

   Recommend just using HTML, not HTML5 specifically, for ARIA
   techniques.

   JN: The group is reviewing the comments in the survey.

   LGR: Is there anything in the comments that we don't think Tim
   should act on?

   Resolution: Leave open.

   MJ: Difference between how to use attributes vs how to address
   technique?

   BB: Is the use of alt="" with required attribute legitimate? Does
   this meet 1.1.1?

   LGR: We may need a separate 1.1.1 technique if we think this is ok.

Using the HTML5 required attribute to indicate that a value is required
in an input field.

   DT: Comments are looking familiar! Will go back and review to be
   sure that comments have been addressed.
   ... Updated technique this morning, so comments may be on an older
   version.

   AS: My comments are current.

   JN: Could we move this technique from the Trace wiki to the W3C
   wiki?
   ... See link at the top of the Trace wiki main page.
   ... Or at least create future techniques there.
   ... Should we try to revise and review this on the fly?

   <MichaelC> please use this URL for the technique on the WCAG wiki:
   [7]http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Techniques/ARIA/Using_aria-describe
   dby_and_alert_for_Error_Feedback_in_Forms

      [7] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Techniques/ARIA/Using_aria-describedby_and_alert_for_Error_Feedback_in_Forms

   JN: What versions of what browsers support HTML5?
   ... We can put that information into Technology Notes for HTML5, and
   just note anything that is specific to the technique in the User
   Agent Notes.

   <DavidTodd> Using the html5 required attribute to validate (or
   "describe") a required input field

   <MichaelC> please use this URL for the technique on the WCAG wiki:
   [8]http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Techniques/ARIA/Using_the_required_
   attribute_to_indicate_a_required_input_field

      [8] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Techniques/ARIA/Using_the_required_attribute_to_indicate_a_required_input_field

   <jamesn> DavidTodd, User Agent testing notes can be found here -
   [9]http://john.foliot.ca/required-inputs/

      [9] http://john.foliot.ca/required-inputs/

   <jamesn> AS: Should test procedures check all instances or just one?

   <jamesn> AS: What about consistency?

   <jamesn> LGR: Note sure we have always been consistent. Suggest
   going forward not to make the test procedure check all

   <jamesn> DT: do we want to mention specific browsers in the user
   agent notes?

   <jamesn> JN: Yes - where the user agent notes are more specific than
   general user agent notes.

   David will research browser behavior for user agent notes and bring
   the technique back for review.

   Otherwise, we think it looks fine.

   MJ: Going back to Adam's comments about browsers, will there be
   something about general browser behavior in the description?

   JN: Both is fine, in my opinion.
   ... In this case, there are 2 different UA behaviors in the
   description: browser rendering and screen reader behavior.

   <DavidTodd> Sorry, have to drop off to get to another call.

   MJ: Trying to decide how focused to keep techniques.

   JN: Who can't make next week's call, besides James and Michael? Josh
   will run the call.

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [10]scribe.perl version 1.136
Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: Loretta
Inferring ScribeNick: Loretta
Default Present: Joseph_Scheuhammer, James_Nurthen, Marc_Johlic, Cooper
, Bruce_Bailey, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Adam_Solomon, David_Todd
Present: Joseph_Scheuhammer James_Nurthen Marc_Johlic Cooper Bruce_Bail
ey Loretta_Guarino_Reid Adam_Solomon David_Todd
Got date from IRC log name: 27 Feb 2012
Guessing minutes URL: [13]http://www.w3.org/2012/02/27-html-techs-tf-mi
nutes.html
People with action items:

     [13] http://www.w3.org/2012/02/27-html-techs-tf-minutes.html
Received on Monday, 27 February 2012 18:08:20 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 27 February 2012 18:08:21 GMT