Re: Javascript fallbacks for drop down menus

Hi David,
If I may interject - I strongly recommend that pull-down menus (scripted or
CSS) are avoided at all costs. Partially sighted users with Zoom find that
the menu fills the whole screen (and more). As they cursor down the list
they do not know when they have reached the last item of the menu. As a
result the focus goes below the menu box and leaves them in the middle of
your page !!!!!

A second concern is that drop-down menus encourage designers to include too
many links on a single page. As these usually occur in HTML before the
content it makes it very hard for users of screen readers who have to wade
through hundreds of irrelevant links to find something of interest. The
place for lots of links is the site map (or section maps). Individual pages
should only have the basic "top level" links and the submenu of links
relevant to the page content.

If, however, a pull-down menu is required I suggest that you use a form
<select> element which is much easier for users to control (and takes up
less page space when is use.

Regards
Richard