Re: Do buttons need to follow 2.4.4 or 2.4.6?

As James said, 4.1.2 is about the "how". There is no requirement in 4.1.2
about the quality of the name.

I believe Flash27 is listed for 2.4.4 because there is no "link" element in
Flash, and buttons are used for this purpose. Andrew, is this right?

I think button naming is covered by this part of SC 1.1.1:
* * " If non-text content is a control or accepts user input, then it has a
name <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#namedef> that describes
its purpose."