Re: Do buttons need to follow 2.4.4 or 2.4.6?

On 8/3/2011 11:47 AM, Loretta Guarino Reid wrote:
> As James said, 4.1.2 is about the "how". There is no requirement in
> 4.1.2 about the quality of the name.
>
> I believe Flash27 is listed for 2.4.4 because there is no "link"
> element in Flash, and buttons are used for this purpose. Andrew, is
> this right?
Doesn't using a button in this way fail 4.1.2 (assuming there is no
other way to convey the role of a link in flash)?

> I think button naming is covered by this part of SC 1.1.1:
> ** " If non-text content is a control or accepts user input, then it
> has a name <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#namedef>
> that describes its purpose."
Sometimes there is little semantic distinction between a button and a
link (there are cases where something really does both an action and
navigation so either semantic could be appropriate). In these cases the
conformance requirement seems to be higher if the author chooses to use
a button vs choosing to use a link, when the end result for the user is
really the same whichever they choose.

A specific example of this is a button in a table that lists employees
which would be accessed by their manager. The table contains employee
details including the employee name which is properly marked up as the
row header and a column which contains a link to "Start appraisal
process". This takes me to a new page where I enter information relating
to the appraisal process. I could make arguments as to why this "link"
could be a button or a link but I believe this is not clear-cut.

If I choose to make this a button I believe I need to label the button
as "Start appraisal process for James Nurthen" - if it is a link (to
meet A conformance) it need only be labeled "Start appraisal process" as
it appears within the context of a properly marked up row header.

Do I have this correct?