Re: PDF 10

Hi, David,

Thanks,

Mary

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:53 PM, David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> PDF 10
>
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20-TECHS/pdf.html#PDF10
>
> Awkward and redundant sentence in the description
>
> “When suggesting adding a tooltip, point out that the TU entry of the field
> dictionary (Table 220 in PDF 1.7 Ref) is the programmatically associated
> name. Thus, you should add a tooltip to each field to provide a label that
> assistive technology can interpret. (The TU entry of the field dictionary is
> the programmatically associated label (see Example 3 below and Table 220 in
> PDF 1.7 (ISO 32000-1)).”
>
> Consider:
>
> “The TU entry (which is the tooltip) of the field dictionary is the
> programmatically associated label (see Example 3 below and Table 220 in PDF
> 1.7 (ISO 32000-1).” Therefore, add a tooltip to each field to provide a
> label that assistive technology can interpret.”

Done.

> Example 1:
>
> In the Forms menu, select Add or Edit Fields..."
>
> (the is an orphan quotation mark “ at the end of the sentence.

Done.

> In the working example they have lower case “mm/dd/yyyy” Consider using
> capitals because screen readers try to pronounce lower case yyyy as a word,
> which is not easily understandable, but upper case YYYY they say as Y-Y-Y-Y.
> We should consider steering people to that in our examples.

We really should. But screen captures and example files need to be
changed. I'll discuss the production issues with Michael and Loretta.

> Related techniques Dead link
>
> -Providing interactive form controls in PDF documents
>
> The following link references the trace wiki???
>
> - Indicating when user input falls outside the required format or values in
> PDF forms

This is a known problem: 2 techniques are missing from the XML. Should
be fixed in next build.

> Procedure
>
> 1.  For each form control, verify visually that the label is positioned
> correctly in relation to the control.
>

> Not sure if people will understand what “correctly” is in reference to....
> as found in the placement table in the description???

We discussed this in some detail when reviewing the technique, and
several caveats were added to the text above this table. The table is
not definitive, and I think the key sentence is, "In general, authors
should review label positioning to make sure it meets the requirements
of their particular form." Given this, I don't think the procedure
needs to say anything more or anything different.