Re: Need input on accessible technology in the Russian Far East

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 10:58:41 +0200
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

At 20:36 4/05/2009, Avi Arditti wrote:
>First, a belated congratulations on WCAG 2.0! (I left the working
>group several years ago.) I recently met a blind man in the Russian
>Far East who works with young people with disabilities. He was
>trying to find ways to obtain computers for them and accessible
>technology like screen readers. He only has an early version of
>JAWS. Does anyone have any suggestions?

There are "RealSpeak Solo Direct Voices for Freedom Scientific
but these require JAWS 10 or later.

On Linux, there seems to be an alternative: Orca + eSpeak. In the
eSpeak documentation, Russian is currently only listed as a
"provisional language" (because of problems with word stress and the
disctinction between "hard" and "soft" consonants)
<http://espeak.sourceforge.net/languages.html>. I also found a
message on the Orca list
where someone pointed to a page about Russian on festival (another
open-source TTS): <http://festlang.berlios.de/docu/doku.php?id=russianru>.

I hope this helps, but you may be more successful on the WAI-IG list.

Best regards,

>Many thanks,
>Avi Arditti

Christophe Strobbe
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442
B-3001 Leuven-Heverlee
tel: +32 16 32 85 51
"Better products and services through end-user empowerment"
I haven't.