Re: Question on <pre> and <code> - violation of 1.3.1?

From: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:53:22 +0200 (CEST)
To: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

On  5 Sep, Christophe Strobbe wrote:

>> > Is the use of <code> in this fashion a failure?
>>
>>   Surely the use of the semantically significant element "CODE" is more
>>   than enough to satisfy the requirements?
>
> The litmus test is support by AT; being semantic is not sufficient in itself.

  This falls squarely into the realm of the AT. The element is the
  indication it SHOULD use - if it does not, it requires repair, not
  markup hacks.

  The ball should be firmly kicked back to those who creates UAs which
  fail to take advantage of the semantic interpretation that is there.

  I surely hope no-one is about to say "We need to write our documents
  using certain words so that ATs can present the information in a way
  that the user can understand", for if so they've just argued HTML and
  XHTML out of existence.

--
 - Tina Holmboe       siteSifter                  Greytower Technologies
            http://www.sitesifter.co.uk          http://www.greytower.net