Re: Question on <pre> and <code> - violation of 1.3.1?

At 16:53 5/09/2008, Tina Holmboe wrote:

> >>   Surely the use of the semantically significant element "CODE" is more
> >>   than enough to satisfy the requirements?
> >
> > The litmus test is support by AT; being semantic is not
> sufficient in itself.
>
>   This falls squarely into the realm of the AT. The element is the
>   indication it SHOULD use - if it does not, it requires repair, not
>   markup hacks.
>
>   The ball should be firmly kicked back to those who creates UAs which
>   fail to take advantage of the semantic interpretation that is there.

Sure, but accessibility is not a theoretical exercise based on "should".
For example, finding an accessible image replacement technique wasn't just
a matter of reading specs but involved a lot of testing.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe