Context of linked text

From: Sailesh Panchang <spanchang02@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:37:05 -0700 (PDT)
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Cc: befree@magma.ca

David,
I was reviewing F63, G53, G91 etc. that relate to
linked text. Does the doc now say that a "click here"
or "read me" link is valid now if it is in the same
sentence / para/ list item? This is very different
from what I believe the problem really is.

When one is reading a Web page these links whether in
the same para/sentence or not, are not a problem
because one is reading the para / sentence and link in
a logical order. But these links are a problem when
reviewed in a links-list or if one just tabs through
links) or  in other words, read out of context. One
does not have access to the container para / sentence.
Also if there are many click here / read more etc.
links it is confusing when read out of context.

So I do not believe that  the problem is solved if
links are contained within the same para / sentence to
which the link relates to.

I reviewed the examples against F63. I do not think
they pose an accessibility  problem per se. But links
like "Download"  whithout saying what it  will
Download  pose a problem. So a title attribute +
hidden text on anchor will help. In case it is an
image link, the alt text+screen text should convey the
purpose.
Note: Both WinEyes and JAWS by default  seem to
"place" links on a separate line even if they visually
appear to be on the same line.

Thanks,
Sailesh Panchang
www.deque.com