Re: WCAG 2.0 Conformance Proposals for 30 November 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 06:28:23AM -0500, Bailey, Bruce wrote:
> This is feedback with regard to:
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2006/11/conformance-revs.html
>
> The document is really good, my hat is off to the folks pulling this together.  It is hard work.

I agree wholeheartedly.

In the discussion of availability (condition 1 of what it means for a
technology to be an AEWT), the document refers several times to assistive
technology that is available to "almost all users", but without specifying
precisely what is required. For example, an assistive technology should be
regarded as available to almost all users even though it is not installed by
default on users' workstations.

In part 2 of the same section, we have clear requirements for the availability
of an AEWT, namely that it is available (in a non-discriminatory fashion) for
download or purchase. I suggest that the same requirement should apply to
assistive technologies for purposes of their being "available to almost all
users".

In sum, I am suggesting that there should only be one availability
requirement, and that the conditions spelled out already in the draft should
apply to both AEWT's and supporting assistive technologies (to the extent
that these are not included in user agents by default).