Re: REVISED Web Page Proposal - Version 2.0

Hi Jason,

Jason White wrote:

> Maybe the rule should be this:
>
> Where two or more primary resources (together with any subsidiary resources
> that may be rendered simultaneously with them) are obtainable from the same
> URI, we partition the set of all such resources into equivalence classes. Two
> resources are equivalent if they convey the same information or provide the
> same functionality, concepts which are already employed elsewhere in the
> guidelines.
>
> The conformance requirement, then, is that at least one member of each
> equivalence class must satisfy all success criteria at the specified
> conformance level.

This concept of equivalence class is tricky. So if I have a site with a
stylesheet like this (exagerating):

body {
  background-color: #000;
  color: #000;
}

of course, totally inaccessible unless you use lynx, or deactivate CSS
(or you use a screen-reader). Both renderings will lie within the same
equivalence class (I think). Then, one is accessible, and the other not ...

The point is that if you start to add content-negotiation to any
definition, it becomes soon unmanageable.

> My purpose here is not to express the idea in the most elegant way possible,
> as would need to be done if the proposal were developed further, but simply to
> propose a potential solution to the problem at hand.

The only solution I see is that *all* Web Units must be conformant.

regards,
carlos
--
Dr Carlos A Velasco - http://access.fit.fraunhofer.de/
Fraunhofer-Institut für Angewandte Informationstechnik FIT