Re: CSS Parsed Unambiguously

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 22:04:13 +0200
To: "Chris Ridpath" <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

* Chris Ridpath wrote:
>I'm not sure myself and not sure if Björn's earlier message cleared this up.

My understanding is that content cannot be "parsed unambiguously" if the
two browsers do not agree on how to parse it and this is licensed by the
relevant specifications. You cite W3C's CSS Validation Service, but I do
not really understand how it is relevant here; to confirm that something
can be "parsed unambiguously" you have to check it in both browsers, and
if they do not agree you have to check the specification.

Your question is basically whether it is possible for a resource that is
not considered conforming / valid / whatever to be "parsed into only one
data structure" and the answer is "yes" and, in consequence, stylesheets
do not have to be "valid" with respect to this requirement.