Re: About tests 37-41 (headers) *wkey

Hi Chris,

At 20:51 4/05/2006, Chris Ridpath wrote:

>(...) There are several blocks of text in the technique that describe what
>to do but they are all a bit different.
>
>The (X)HTML examples refer to DTDs and validators but the tests, as you
>pointed out, do not.

That is because DTDs and validators are a quick and easy way to make these
checks. If you know other ways, please let me know. I now realise I forgot
to check if Tidy and JTidy can be used here.

>  The title of the technique implies that a DTD is necessary and
> validation is required.

As Gregg has pointed out, we may have to fix the title.
However, I don't understand why you think that the title implies that a DTD
is necessary. "Necessary" in what sense?
- For this technique, it is necessary to have a DTD or other documentation
that specifies which attributes have ID values, but since this is a
technique for HTML, this is not a problem.
- For this technique, it is not necessary to specify a document type
declaration, but it helps.
- For this technique, it is not necessary to validate against a DTD, but it
is a quick and easy way to see if you satisfy the technique. However,
validation is clearly a stricter requirement. So, in a validation report,
you would look only for errors related to ID values and the use of opening
and closing tags.

>So is this technique the same as H74 (you need to be well formed with
>unique IDs) or is it different (you need a DTD and validation)?

I suppose you mean H75. H74 is the non-XML counterpart of H75; we split
this up because HTML - being based on SGML - does not know the concept of
wellformedness.

Regards,

Christophe

--