Re: New requirements document and change log

At 06:52 AM 4/20/2006, Tim Boland wrote:

>Thanks for the clarifications.  ONE ADDITIONAL QUESTION:  If goals 1
>through 6 in the "Introduction" are examples of criteria mentioned
>following, can we use (somewhat subjective?) words like "clear",
>"clearly", "ease of use in mind", and "more diverse" in these goals
>(criteria?) to (objectively? reasonably?) determine (measure?) whether the
>WCAG2.0 specification itself fulfills the criteria, or where the WCAG2.0
>specification itself is at in fulfilling the criteria?   If the answer is
>"yes", that's fine..

The W3C Process does not require that a Working Group write a requirements
document nor are there any guidelines for what one should look like.  The
charter may have requirements, and the group may write them down elsewhere.

In other words, a requirements document is common practice for helping a
Working Group maintain focus, to help determine what is in and out of scope
and to set a basic roadmap for the work.  When a group makes the case to
the Director that it has satisfied the requirements of its charter, it
helps to show well-maintained documentation that has been available to the
community.

It is up to the Working Group to determine the requirements and to show
evidence to the Director (during document transitions) that those
requirements have been met.

Relevant process piece for our current transition to Last Call:
<http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#last-call>http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#last-call
Purpose: A Working Group's Last Call announcement is a signal that:
* the Working Group believes that it has satisfied its relevant technical
requirements (e.g., of the charter or requirements document) in the Working
Draft;
* the Working Group believes that it has satisfied significant dependencies
with other groups;
* other groups SHOULD review the document to confirm that these
dependencies have been satisfied.