RE: Schedule for getting to Last Call

To all;

	I understand there are schedules created and they help drive
work to a solution. I understand it has been many years in the making
and many people are anxious to have something tangible.

	If this standard is going to impact Section 508 in a significant
way, and I believe it is, then I hope you will understand if I continue
to be critical of the work. The agency can continue to require all
development staff and all contracts use the standard on version 1.0 as
appropriate to the Section 508 mandate. I don't wish to undermine the
excellent work done so far; I'm participating technically where
possible. We don't have the finished product and I'm evaluating a work
in progress. I'm not a W3C member. Speaking as Section 508 Coordinator
for a large agency, we are materially affected. Please consider that if
you release a new version and it has any significant issues left
unresolved, it will have to be my position to ensure the standard is
_not_ to be applied.

	Although Bruce and others have been focusing on many of the
technical details, I think it would be most useful if the people
involved step back and look at this from the eyes of a new user. Avoid
the technical details and focus on the goals. Be critical and figure out
how things fail, try to break them. An example of one issue that needs
to be resolved is the levels; what do they mean? They are confusing!
Another would be the language itself; someone needs to simplify it.
Sometimes it seems as if every word is being considered out of context.
Perhaps every definition needs a goal, definition, example, and bad
example to clarify.

	I will try to coordinate more constructive feedback with other
agencies but just like Section 508 _you_ have the responsibility and as
a new participant I can do little more than audit your work. I certainly
can't review all of the work provided by many others more intelligent
and aware of the issues than myself. However, I challenge you to think
differently. There are several issues Bruce is bringing up that should
be addressed. This work is important and larger than any one of us.

	Regards,

	Norman B. Robinson
	Section 508 Coordinator
	IT Governance, US Postal Service