RE: Navigational features

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 11:32:15 -0500
To: "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, "Guide Lines list" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
> Can you be a little more specific?

The current subtly of the discussion about heading leads me to conclude that the meaning behind “programmatically determined” is more fluid than is being acknowledged.  But I will put that issue aside for the moment.

> “Programmatically determined” is defined in the glossary.
> If the definition isn’t clear we need to fix it.

And it is a fine definition.  That is *not* the problem.

> It is a rather important definition and a term specific to this work.

Understood.  The problem is that the term is used so frequently and so particularly that even after repeated trips to the glossary the phrase interrupts naturally reading of success criteria.  I honestly believe that replacing “programmatically determined” with “marklar” would be an improvement -- readers would not be fooled into thinking they understood what was meant.

It is not about writing a good definition.  It is about finding a better term.  I have to believe that there is a term of art that can be used with the intended definition.  Machine processable?  Reducible to an algorithm?  Wholly deterministic?  NP-complete?