Re: Is validity the real issue?

From: Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 22:50:22 +0000
To: Maurizio Boscarol <maurizio@usabile.it>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

On 07/11/05, Maurizio Boscarol <maurizio@usabile.it> wrote:
> Lack of validity itself isn't an
> accessibility problem. Better: it actually is only with
> application/xhtml+xml mime type, so we should cover that case.

This is fundamentally different to what my understanding of web
accessibility is, although I would be happy to be corrected. I thought
the focus of web accessibility was purely about ensuring that people
with disabilities were given equal access to web content.

Assuming that I'm correct in that assumption, application/xhtml+xml
couldn't possibly cause an accessibility barrier; it's either
available to everyone or no one; there is no discrimination. Any
developer that goes to the length of serving XHTML as
application/xhtml+xml is going to be fully aware of the implications,
and is likely to ensure that the content maintains well-formed. I
can't see how this could be considered an accessibility issue, and one
worth promoting above validity for the masses.

Invalid documents can cause real accessibility problems - that's why
those that don't consider validity vital for accessibility are
thinking of ways it can be included without putting anyone out too
much, as dismissing validity completely makes no sense.

Best regards,

Gez

--
Supplement your vitamins