Re: Is validity the real issue?

From: Maurizio Boscarol <maurizio@usabile.it>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 23:16:27 +0100
To: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
CC: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Jens Meiert wrote:

>>>To stick with automotive metaphors, isn't this the same as saying
>>>"just drive, you do not need to know the traffic rules, because it
>>>might hinder you from driving"?
>>>

>>No, it isn't. The methaphor is unadequate. If you don't know traffic
>>rules, you'll end crash and kill someone, for sure. If you miss some
>>validation issue your page can still be accessible, and in many case it
>>is: disabled people (and UA, and AT) can copy with it.
>>

>No. There is also some probability that you cross the city unharmed, as
>there on the other side is the risk that an invalid page might fail in
>certain UAs. And this risk ain't quite low, as you need to anticipate a
>future where more and more UAs behave more and more strict. So that risk is
>definitely high, and the metaphor I used proves useful, I fear.

You're right. We'd better following the metaphor. You need a driving
license to drive, even if you already can drive. That's the law.
We aren't making law or releasing licenses. We should address what is a
real accessibility problem. Lack of validity itself isn't an
accessibility problem. Better: it actually is only with
application/xhtml+xml mime type, so we should cover that case. We should
focus on how to find and eliminate barriers to access.

Maurizio